The association The Digger Cote 160 was founded on May 11, 2001. It is made up of a small group of people from Pozières.
“The Diggers” was the nickname given to the Australian soldiers who had to dig night trenches in order to get closer to the German fortifications.
Hill 160 is a topographical indication. Pozieres is the highest point, making it a strategic position for the Germans, who could thereby dominate the Albert area and the Amiens road through which Allied troops and equipment were transported.
Objectives of the association
To promote the relations between Australia and Pozières in France, to work for the memory of the soldiers missed during the battle of Pozières.
* Promote all the physical and virtual exchanges, and all correspondences written for a better knowledge of our cultures
* Promote all physical and virtual exchanges, and all correspondence written for a better knowledge of our cultures.
* Look for and ensure twinning with a common Australian.
* Look for and ensure twinning with an Australian municipality.
Pozières is a small village of just 300 inhabitants,
located in the north of France, in the department of Somme (80).
This small town which stretches along the 929 departmental Road Albert to Bapaume, does not appear in any of the encyclopaedias for the general public,
and yet all Australians visiting France know Pozieres.
Indeed, it is here that their parents, fathers and grandfathers, participated in one of the most deadly battles of the First World War.
Australian soldiers launched to assault this spur considerably fortified by the Germans, suffered terrible losses before taking the village on July 23, 1916 at 00:30.
Pozières is a village whose origin is well before the sixteenth century.
Formerly it belonged to the province of Artois who had installed a customs post to keep the border. It is perhaps from this function that his place name came to him, or the word “rumau pose” meaning “the place where one stopped on the road”.
Oscar Gosselin, teacher at the school of the village proposes another version in his monograph in 1991: “- Pozières, or Posières, comes from Pesières, farmland in peas, it was probably the main culture of the village …” It was originally a hamlet made up of a few thatched cottages which attracted, by the advantages of its situation, a large number of inhabitants, notably those of Sérancourt, who settled there after the destruction of their village, during the wars of the ‘Ancien Régime.
Located on the road of Contalmaison this agglomeration completely disappeared. In the Modern Times, the farmers of Contalmaison, Pozières and Courcelette, were forced to grind their grain at the “Windmill Pozières”, which was the subject of fierce fighting between Germans and Australians, during the conquest of the village, in July 1916
1916: The Battle of Pozières:
On 23/07/1916 at 00:30, the 1st Australian Division, supported on its left by the 48th (South Midland) Division and after a 4-day bombardment, attacked Pozières from the South and South-East. The whole village was taken on the 25th. The German artillery then placed a terrible concentration of fire there. In the East, two German fortified lines, OG1 and OG2, always resisted all assaults.